Low-phosphorus recipe; Makes 8 servings
Suffice your cravings for a dollop of elegance without lengthy preparation or a hot oven, top off the meal with this airy ensemble of lemon, cream, and sugar. Lemon curd is folded into whipped cream and frozen, suffusing the mousse with refreshing citrus flavor.
lemon peel, grated
whipping cream, whipped
vanilla wafers (about 40), crushed
1. Beat egg yolks until very thick.
2. Gradually beat in sugar, beating well after each addition.
3. Add lemon juice and lemon peel; blend well.
4. Cook in a double boiler over hot water stirring constantly until thick.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
6. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. Fold egg whites into cooled thickened mixture.
8. Fold in whipped cream
9. Spread 1 ½ cups vanilla wafer crumbs in bottom of freezer tray or 10" x 6" x 1 ½" baking dish.
10. Spoon lemon mixture over crumbs.
11. Top with remaining vanilla wafer crumbs.
12. Freeze until firm, several hours or overnight.